"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." -E. B. White
Having trouble reading this email? View it on your browser
You are receiving this email because you are a friend or client of Paul Draper.
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day"
Welcome to May's "Mysteries of the Mind" monthly newsletter!
“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.”
Learn from the past, be in the present, build the future!
Below is a list of helpful tools and suggestions for more powerful social interactions.
1) FEET: Pay attention to people’s feet. If people are paying attention to you and want the conversation to continue, they will often point their feet towards you. If they want it to end they will point their feet away from you. If you approach two people in the middle of a conversation, and they only turn their torsos and not their feet, they may not want you to join in their conversation.
2) SILENCE: Silence is the best truth serum. If someone won’t tell you the full truth, just sit in silence for a while in their presence and they will often start talking.
3) EYES: When speaking with people, try to look in their eyes and hold the gaze a few seconds longer than usual. A good way to practice this is to notice peoples eye color while you listen to them. In this world of looking at our smartphones, eye contact is very powerful and shows confidence and interest.
4) BECAUSE: Add the magic word “Because” to get your way. Studies have shown that people are far more likely to give us our way if we have a “because”. And it really doesn’t seem to matter what the because is, “May I cut in line because, I would like to cut in line” is far powerful than simply “May I cut in line”. Try it.
5) NO: If you are dealing with someone who likes to say no, ask for something unreasonable for them to say no to, and they’ll say no, then ask for what you actually want, a much more reasonable task, and they’re more likely to agree. Sometimes people just like to say no.
6) TEACH: When you’re studying/learning something new, teach a friend how/about it. Let them ask questions. If you’re able to teach something well, you understand it. They cycle that I use is Learn, Do, Teach.
7) NAME: When you meet people use their name often. People love being referred to by their name. It is a magic word that activates their mind and attention. It will establish a sense of trust and friendship right away.
8) ENTHUSIASM: If you can make yourself happy and excited to see other people, they will react the same to you. It doesn’t always work the first time, but it is a learned behavior. Share enthusiasm.
9) HANDS: People find others with warm handshakes to be more desirable, warm up your hands before you shake. When I perform spooky shows, I sometimes keep an ice pack in my pocket to cool my hand and make myself more frightening.
10) EMOTIONS:People won’t remember what you say. They will remember what you make them feel. When giving a presentation or meeting a new group of people, remember that they will remember less than 10% of what you say. But they will remember your emotions and how you treated them.
11) SMILE: If you are sad, make a BIG smile, (even if you don’t feel like it) and hold it for 10 seconds. It will release chemicals that will make you believe that you are happier.
12) PASSION: Ask people what they are passionate about, ask them what makes them happy, and ask them what they are looking forward to. These will all create open communication and will make others like being around you. The key here is to be genuinely interested in their answers.
Read more about Paul:
"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure"
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how"
Lee Memorial Heath System
Marc Salem Interview
Salt Lake 48hr Film Fest
Eagle Eyes Foundation
South Bay Music Symposium
Magic & Meaning
Celebrities of Magic
To find out more about my corporate lectures and workshops download this .pdf
This week at a science fair in Iowa, a young man presented on the topic of Mentalism. That is my Hallmark appearance running on the computer on the table and he convinced his mom to buy him a suit like mine. Only use your powers for good, my brave friend! The force is strong with this one.
48 Hour Film Project
Here is our musical film-fest short that just premiered in Las Vegas at the Sam's Town Casino Theater.
Written, cast, shot, edited and turned in in less than 48 hours!
Want to see some of our other ones?
© 2014 Paul Draper, All Rights Reserved.